Advice for Healthy, Low-Fat Eating
Kitchen weights are a very useful thing. Not only do you always know how much you have eaten, but you will discover a lot of new things that you have not known before.
Practical variant of a low fat diet
For example, with the help of kitchen weights, I calculated that buckwheat increases in weight by four times when cooked. Rice increases by five, and pasta increases by slightly over two. An egg weighs 60 grams and a large slice of bread weighs 50 grams.
With some recipes, you will need weights in order to measure 10 ounces of fish or two ounces of noodles.
Different measures for liquids are helpful as well. I’ve learned that they’re only needed once or twice -- after that, you’ll learn to measure components by estimating with your eyes.
The main goal in losing weight is not to actually lose the weight itself, but to keep it off once it’s gone. In order to do so, you should keep your diet low in fat and try to keep away from sweets (at least whenever possible). This doesn’t mean, however, that you should deny yourself certain items. There’s no need to restrict yourself. You simply need to follow one distinct guideline -- try to consume less than two ounces of fat daily, and don’t eat a lot of sweet food.
Don’t hurry to lose weight. First and foremost, you should become very knowledgeable about food and understand all of its characteristics in order to get used to a low fat diet. You should also learn to cook and learn to chose healthy foods if you eat in restaurants.
Your diet will become a low fat one if you follow these simple rules:
- If products contain little fat (less than 1 - 5 percent) and are not very sweet, then their consumption should be allowed frequently. Such low fat foods include: low fat meat, fish, cottage cheese, diary products, bread, pasta, cereal, vegetables, and potatoes. It is easy to see that you will not die of starvation if your diet is based on these products.
- Some products are rich in fat. Consumption of these products will add a lot of fat to your body and will eventually lead to weight gain. High fat products include: all types of oils, fatty meats, whole diary products, pastry, chocolate, and ice cream.
- The consumption of products which are not your favorites should be limited, because then the limits of your beloved foods will not be so tough. Do not hurry to dismiss certain kinds of food forever. One glass of yogurt contains the same amount of fat as one-fifth of a chocolate bar. That doesn’t mean, however, that you should eat tons of yogurt and stop buying chocolate.
- Try to keep the fatness of food low while cooking. Increase the amount of boiled or stuffed vegetables and decrease the number of fried ones.
- You can fry on Teflon dishes or Teflon-covered grills. You can also bake on foil. Both methods reduce the fat content when cooking.
- You can cook soups from low fat meat without bones. The fat content of soups can be lowered dramatically if you leave it in a cold place and then remove all the fat from the top.
- Among analogous products, choose the low fat varieties (fat free cottage cheese, low fat mayonnaise, skim milk and so on). Ratios are the main thing. For example, you used to buy whole cottage cheese but also bought fat free from time to time. Now you should do vice versa.
- Try to fill-up on low fat or fat free products, leaving out others as “treats” which are used to add some taste to the diet on occasion.
- Try to eat slowly. You will feel that you are full in a shorter time than you would if you ate quickly. Besides, slow eating helps control the amount of food you put into your body. There is a good trick which helps to eat slowly: take a big plate and fill it with different food each taken in a small portion -- some meat, salads, and fish. Then you will eat slowly because each time you will try a new kind of food.
- Little snacks help in controlling the amount of food eaten and easing
the feeling of hunger. Drink a glass of warm water or weak tea 10 -
15 minutes before lunch or dinner. You can eat a small portion of low
fat cottage cheese or yogurt with cereal or fruit. Usually these snacks
have two times fewer calories than the amount of food excluded from
your lunch or dinner. For example, you used to eat 600 calories for
- How To Make Kid's Mini Pizzas
- Keeping Nails Strong & Healthy
- How To Make Greek Salad
- The Different Types of Lovers
- Treating Symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome
- Six Typical Mistakes Women Make at Work
- Break Your Cat’s Bad Habits
- Going on the trip Video